promoting our community,
protecting our heritage
The Sandgate Society Archive
You are here:
A newly built house (2018) Dorlands, 42 Coolinge Lane, previously the name refered to the house next door, now 44 Coolinge Lane
Further along Coolinge Lane is entrance B to the Folkestone School For Girls. The building in the middle of the photo was for many years the Language lab and the building behind, the domestic science room.
Now part of the Folkestone Girls School this building was built in 1904 to house Praetoria House Preparatory School, a private school for boys.
Now the Drama department for the Folkestone Girls School this building was for many years the main hall and canteen for the Folkestone Grammar School for Girls. photo taken July 2020 by ABAB
Sandgate Primary School's banner of encouragment during lockdown Covid19 pandemic -April 2020
Sandgate Primary School has had several extensions since it opened in its present position in Coolinge Lane in 1972
Sandgate Primary School opened in 1972 when staff and pupils moved from the old school building at the bottom of Sandgate Hill
Sandgate Primary School was given extra land to the right of the main building to extend their car park when Eversley Park was developed.k
Sandgate School main entrance which has been extended on the front-taken April 2020
The County School for Girl moved into this building from Bouverie Road East in the early 1920's and renamed it Penfold house. The boys school moved out in 1917 after the air raid and Folkestone was no longer considered safe. Photo taken July 2020 by AB
The extension to Pelham House on the right with the arched window was for many years the gymnasium for the Girls Grammar School.
This building which was renovated and opened in 2019 as Little Oaks Nursery Sandgate was former owned by the Folkestone Girls School. The building was originally a house called the Rockeries it was acquired by the Folkestone Grammar School and was used as the music department for many years. Photo taken July 2020 by AB. l
This was the main entrance for the Folkestone Technical High School for Girls before it amalgamated with the Girls Grammar School in 1982 and became the main entrance for the Folkestone School for Girls.
To the left was Clewer House which was a house for boarders of the Grammar School but became an admin block when the two schools amalgamated. It was subsequently pulled down.